I have pushed a fedora 12 beta sparc tree the master mirror, you can find one close to you Here under /releases/test/12-Beta/sparc/ the tree is pretty much complete. there are a few broken deps that need resolving. Partitioning is fragile. it mostly works however sometimes you will be best off to do manual partitioning in rescue mode or breaking out into a shell.
Here is a quick list of some of the issues you might hit and workarounds.
- serial console install – to have a console on the serial port post install pass “console=ttyS0,9600” to the installer
- serial console install – to do any customisation at all you need to use vnc
- sunblade systems with qlogic hba’s for primary storage – Make sure that you do a graphical install (vnc or local X) or kickstart and include “hardware support” this is so that you have the firmware for your primary storage
- install blowing up at partitioning – parted doesnt seem to like old parted disk labels. in rescue mode “dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=2” where X == the valuse of each disk
- partitioning is fragile – simple partitioning works fine more complicated setups might require you to manual use parted to setup the partitioning you want and then choosing custom partitiing and allocate as you need to
- less than 512mb ram – using vnc you may get OOM during package install. you will need to either do a default install or select a smaller package set
- repo issues when installing – There is not repos exactly as anaconda wants when doing a netinstall. you can pass repo=”path to mirror” or fix up in the gui
Oh and partitioning is fragile, it looks like F-13 will be better
And things ive likely forgotten or missed, please drop into #fedora-sparc on freenode for assistance, questions or feedback.